The Rural Governance Network aims to facilitate, promote and enable connections for actors engaged in rural governance. This Network supports activities that further understanding and improvement in the formal and informal mechanisms and tools by which rural communities and regions organize themselves for economic, environmental, political and social-cultural objectives. The Governance Network helps to examine the implications of governance structures, processes, and policies that impact rural communities.
More about this network can be found here
View network members’ contact information and organizations here
Interested in joining the Governance Network? Contact Sarah Minnes
Twitter: @RplcCapr #RPLC_GOV
Have a rural governance question? Contact an expert
Check out the Rural Governance Network’s 2019-2020 work plan here
Policy Briefs for the Policy Brief Competition due January 13, 2020. Click here for more information.
The Governance Network has successfully funded the following:
- Conference Support
- CRRF 2019
- Reflections. Danielle Robinson.
- Cultural sustainability through agritourism in the South
Okanagan Valley, BC and the Annapolis Valley, NS. Danielle Robinson.
- Compliance Management Framework for Septic System Reinspection Programsin the Lake Simcoe Watershed.
- International Comparative Rural Policy Studies (ICPRS) 2019 Summer Institute
- Thank You. Ashleigh Weeden
- Regional Studies Association 2019 Annual Conference
- The 3rd World Small-Scale Fisheries Congress
- CRRF 2018
- Regional sustainability in rural Newfoundland: An ongoing research-community collaboration. Brennan Lowery.
- “We Need New Bloodlines and New Immigrants Could Be Good”: Connecting Refugee Farmers to the Agriculture Industry in NL. Mohammad Nazrul Islam.
- Energy Co-management in Community led Renewable Energy (CBR) Projects: A Policy Gap between Canada and European Union. Mohammad Nazrul Islam.
- Commodifying underdevelopment? Rural cultural tourism. Hannah Main.
- Shared stories: Teachings around the meaning of food sovereignty from rural and Indigenous communities. Kathleen Kevany; Danielle Robinson; Stephen Penner
- Vitality and Veracity of Rural Research Centres. Kathleen Kevany, Brennan Lowery, Greg Halseth, Ruth Mealy, Marc Yvan Valade, Valencia Gaspard.
- Beyond Pipe Dreams: Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities for Alternative Drinking Water and Wastewater Systems in Rural Canada. Sarah Minnes, Grenfell Campus Memorial University
- Putting Rural on the Agenda: The Prominence and Priority of Rural Issues and Opportunities in Policy Making, Sarah Minnes, Matteo Vittuari, Patrick Leveque, Ryan Gibson, Jane Atterton, & Kristof Van Assche, Video
- Is Rural Youth Outmigration a Problem? Karen Foster, Hannah Main, & Ray D. Bollman, Video
- 2018 Canadian Association of Geographers
- 2018 Regional Studies Association
- 2017 International Conference on Natural Resources Management for Sustainable Development and Rural Livelihoods
- 2017 North Atlantic Forum
- 2017 Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation Conference
- 2016 Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation Conference
- Support for 5 Governance team members to attend and present
- 2016 The Georgetown Solutions Conference 2.0
- 2016 Advancing Women East
- CRRF 2019
- Policy Fellows
- Giuseppe Gargano
- Josh Barrett (2017/2018)
- Patrick Leveque (2016/2017)
- Literature Reviews
- Policy Briefs
- “Small but Ambitious”. Artisanal Sole fishery improvement and certification initiative in The Gambia, West Africa
- Connecting Rural Canada. A Digital New Deal for Rural Canada: Exploring Opportunities for Local Governments to Invest in Critical Broadband Infrastructure
- Drinking Water Contamination and Cancer in Canada and USA
- Food Security and Promoting Local Food in Ontario
- Considering Climate Change in Rural Planning and Policy
- First Nations Governance Tools for Exerting Sovereignty Over Territorial Land and Resources
- Indigenous Food Sovereignty in Canada: Policy Paper 2019
- Rural Food Sovereignty through Integrated Solutions and Policies
Recordings of all of our webinars can be found on the RPLC YouTube channel. Visit the site to see all of the rural related webinars or check out some of the Rural Governance related webinars below.
- 2018.11.08 2018 CRRF Putting Rural on the Agenda: The Prominence and Priority of Rural Issues and Opportunities in Policy Making, Sarah Minnes, Matteo Vittuari, Patrick Leveque, Ryan Gibson, Jane Atterton, & Kristof Van Assche, Video
- 2018.11.08 2018 CRRF Is Rural Youth Outmigration a Problem? Karen Foster, Hannah Main, & Ray D. Bollman, Video
- 2018.10.04 Understanding Food Sovereignty and Policy Through a Community Lens: Food Systems in Rural and Indigenous Canada, Danielle Robinson & Stephen Penner, Video, PowerPoint
- 2018.09.12 – Putting Rural on the Agenda: The Prominence and Priority of Rural Issues and Opportunities in Policy Making, Dr. Douglas Jackson-Smith, Norman Ragetlie and Sally Shortall, Video, PowerPoint
- 2018.03.22 – Rural Water Infrastructure, Sarah Breen, Paul Kraehling and Gerry Lahey, Video, Powerpoint
- 2017.11.15 – Creating Sustainable Funding for Ecosytems and Watersheds, Juliet Craig and Dr. Tara Lynne Clapp. Video, Powerpoint
- 2017.09.06 – British Columbia’s Approach to Regional Government, Kelly Vodden, Robert Bish, Brain Walisser and Craig Pollett. Video, Presentation
- 2017.06.14 – Quebec’s Approach to Regional Government: An Overview and Critical Reflections, Jean Dionne, Dr. Bruno Jean, Craig Pollett, Dr. Bill Reimer and Dr. Kelly Vodden. Video, PowerPoint
- 2017.08.08 – National Rural Development: The Role of the National Rural Network, Dr. Maura Farrell. Video
- 2017.02.15 – Rural Scotland in Focus 2016: Informing rural policy in Scotland, Jane Atterton, Sarah Skerratt. Video, PowerPoint
- 2016.12.14 – Food Waste in the EU: from Evidence to Policy Interventions, Dr. Matteo Vittuari, Paolo Azzurro. Video,
- 2016.10.13.Climate Change and Food. Dr. Matteo Vittuari, Marco Pagani, Fabio De Menna, Kathleen Kevany, John Devlin. Video.
- 2016.10.13. Considering Climate Change in Rural Planning and Policy. Sean Manners, Nick Mercer, Connor Curtis, Hope Olusanya. Video.
RURAL ROUTES PODCASTS: related to RURAL GOVERNANCE
For more episodes on a variety of rural issues, please visit: http://ruralroutespodcasts.com
Rural Routes is a Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development and Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation initiative. This show is supported through a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Connection grant.
Vince, J., & Stoett, P. (2018). From problem to crisis to interdisciplinary solutions: Plastic marine debris. Marine Policy.
McNeely, G., & Ashton, W. (2018). Critical gaps in public policy programs in Canada: Identifying subject areas for graduate training in rural policy. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 0(0), 1–23.
O’Donoghue, C., Loughrey, J., & Sologon, D. M. (2018). Decomposing the Drivers of Changes in Inequality During the Great Recession in Ireland using the Fields Approach. The Economic and Social Review, 49(2, Summer), 173–200.
Cullen, P., Dupraz, P., Moran, J., Murphy, P., O’Flaherty, R., O’Donoghue, C., … Ryan, M. (2018). Agri-Environment Scheme Design: Past Lessons and Future Suggestions. EuroChoices, 0(0).
Herron, R. V., & Wrathall, M. A. (2018). Putting responsive behaviours in place: Examining how formal and informal carers understand the actions of people with dementia. Social Science & Medicine, 204, 9–15.
Minnes, S., Breen, S.-P., Markey, S., & Vodden, K. (2018). Pragmatism versus Potential: New Regionalism and Rural Drinking Water Management. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 13(2).
Ryser, L., Halseth, G., & Markey, S. (2018). Restructuring of Rural Governance in a Rapidly Growing Resource Town: The Case of Kitimat, BC, Canada. EchoGéo, (43).
Meyers, W., & Johnson, T. G. (Eds.). (2018). Handbook of International Food and Agricultural Policies (Vol. 1). World Scientific.
Bollman, R. D., & Ashton, B. (2018). Rural Policy in Canada. In Handbook of International Food and Agricultural Policies (Vols. 1–3, pp. 149–180). World Scientific.
Meyers, W. H., & Johnson, T. G. (2018). Evolving Agricultural and Rural Policy in a Global Context: Diverse Origins and Varied Paths. In Handbook of International Food and Agricultural Policies (Vol. 1, pp. 1–15). World Scientific.
Weber, B., & Kilkenny, M. (2018). Rural Policy in the United States. In Handbook of International Food and Agricultural Policies (Vols. 1–3, pp. 43–70). World Scientific.
Butters, L., Okusipe, O. M., Eledi, S. B., & Vodden, K. (2018). Engaging the Past to Create a New Future: A Comparative Study of Heritage-driven Community Development Initiatives in the Great Northern Peninsula. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 12(2–3).
Shortall, S. (2018). Changing Gender Roles in Irish Farm Households: Continuity and Change. Irish Geography, 50(2), 175–191.
Refsgaard, K., Teräs, J., Kull, M., Oddsson, G., Jóhannesson, T., & Kristensen, I. (2018). The Rapidly Developing Nordic Bioeconomy : Exerpt from State of the Nordic Region 2018.
Minnes, S. (2017). Ontario’s Clean Water Act and Implications for Rural Serviced Municipalities. Water (9), 538.
Hall, Heather M., Kelly Vodden, and Rob Greenwood. 2016. “From Dysfunctional to Destitute: The Governance of Regional Economic Development in Newfoundland and Labrador.” International Planning Studies 22 (2):49–67.
Ashton, William, Wayne Kelly, and Ray Bollman. 2015. “POLICY REVIEW: Municipalities Amalgamate in Manitoba: Moving towards Rural Regions.” The Manitoba Law Journal 38 (June):123.
Chelan, Zirul, Greg Halseth, Sean Markey, and Laura Ryser. 2015. “Struggling with New Regionalism: Government Trumps Governance in Northern British Columbia, Canada.” Journal of Rural & Community Development 10 (2):136–65.
Coates, Ken, Carin Holroyd, and Joelena Leader. 2015. “Managing the Forgotten North: Governance Structures and Administrative Operations of Canada’s Provincial Norths.” Northern Review 0 (38).
Vodden, Kelly. 2015. “Governing Sustainable Coastal Development: The Promise and Challenge of Collaborative Governance in Canadian Coastal Watersheds.” The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien 59 (2):167–80.
Cesaretti, Gian Paolo, Rosa Misso, Francesca D’Alessandro, H. Shakir Hanna Safwat, Brent S. Steel, and Zacharoula S. Andreopoulou. 2014. “Sustainable Governance for a New ‘Proximity Market’of Our Agriculture.” RIVISTA DI STUDI SULLA SOSTENIBILITA’ 2014/2 (2):31–42